PumpPB.com - Dedicated to pump paintball everywhere

Home FORUM GALLERY Help Search Login Register  

Recent

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing the PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK BARREL, manufactured by LAPCO!  (Read 32457 times)
drg
Administrator

« on: December 19, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »

Introducing the Pumppb.com TIGHTSTICK barrel! Manufactured by paintball's premiere barrelmaker, LAPCO Inc, the TIGHTSTICK combines classic design with modern performance engineering and legendary quality.

Specifications:

Length: 14"
Bore: .681"
Manufacturer: LAPCO Inc.
Threading: Sniper (Autococker)
Finish: Matte or polished (please specify), black anodized
Material: 6061-T6 aerospace aluminum
Weight: ~118g
Made in the USA
LAPCO lifetime warranty

Inspired by the design of the original "Thompson" ribbed Sniper barrel, the TIGHTSTICK is intended as a one-barrel solution for tightbore/underbore applications. Its step-bore design is unique and is not found on any other LAPCO barrels, providing a 10" control-bore length in a 14" overall package. The porting design is also unique and features 6 rows of straight ports, for whisper-quiet performance. Manufactured of aerospace-quality 6061-T6 aluminum and featuring LAPCO's truly supreme attention to quality, these barrels carry a lifetime warranty through LAPCO. Designed with the needs of pump players in mind, the TIGHTSTICK is equally suitable for semi applications.

The benefits of tightbore or underbore barrels have been well-tested and documented in recent years. Underboring prevents rollouts, achieves optimum efficiency and provides optimum consistency, mitigating the effects of ball-to-ball size variances. Testing and experience has shown that paintballs can take quite a bit of squeeze without increased paint breakage and that the old wisdom of an exact bore match is actually the least desirable option.

As of right now, these barrels are offered at a price of $49.99 (matte) and $52.99 (polished) shipped (MSRP $58.99) via USPS First Class to US addresses. Expedited shipping is available, USPS Express mail, to US addresses. International buyers PM me for arrangements. CANADIAN BUYERS: Add $10 for international shipping and handling. PM me to arrange.

14" PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - MATTE

Standard Shipping $55.99 OUT OF STOCK

14" PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - POLISHED

Standard Shipping $55.99 OUT OF STOCK

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:22:04 PM by drg » Logged
drg
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »

Few fun/funny facts:

- I believe this is the first explicitly Sniper threaded barrel ever made, at least in the modern era. Of course, there is no distinction between Sniper and Autococker threads Wink
- Underbore LAPCOs have been difficult to come by, and in 14" are basically nonexistent.
- This is slightly tighter than LAPCO's "Picoshot" size (.682).
drg
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »

More on gun:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:37:57 PM by drg » Logged
thumper

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »

pm sent Smiley

I'm all in. I'm truly digging the specs on this.. Lapco! Step bored! Ported like crazy after the step! .681 control bore! Seriously .. If I were to call nasa and ask them make me the perfect barrel this if pretty much exactly what I would include.  Kind of like taking the best of the WGP kaner, tightening up the bore and then getting some pro's to work the machine.

I know a few east coast sniper II fans gonna be REAL interested.  If not, I'll explain it to them one round at a time until they do.

drg
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »

Thanks thumper ... yeah, I tried to get all the current "best practices" into this barrel, and with LAPCO making, it, you know you are getting pretty much the best manufacturing there is.

I actually have a new run of Pumppb stickers coming in as well, but they are delayed so I will be sending separately later to the early purchasers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:28:15 AM by drg » Logged
russc

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »

Looks good. Love the oldschool nod.
drg
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »

Thanks russc
Saint

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I think even .681 seems kind of big these days.  I've been using a Lurker Eigenbarel lately (.678 stepped to .685, 14" long) and I'm still getting rollouts on my sniper setup.  I've spoken to my local field owner who is aware of the problem and is trying to change paint vendors.  But because of the vagaries of running a paintball business,  has been slow to be able to do so.  Rec players and semi guys don't need to worry about size as much, I guess...

Anyone's thoughts?
drg
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 06:07:40 PM »

Personally I have been using a .682 Kaner and have had maybe 2 batches of paint that had any rollouts in the past 5 years. However I am in the most southern climate in the US. What area are you in? What brand of paint is it?

What I do find is a long-axis to short-axis variance of .015-.020 and greater on paintballs is common, so even with very small overall paint it has got to be extremely small to consistently roll out of a .682 or smaller barrel. Have you empirically tracked how many rollouts you are getting, both within a case and case to case? I am of the suspicion that reports like this might be somewhat influenced by selection bias -- people are blown away that they would get a rollout in a smallbore barrel, and remember only the balls that do roll out, neglecting that most balls don't roll out and most batches of paint don't roll out.

On balance I think it is counterproductive to size too far down, for a single-barrel general purpose underboring solution. While you may address the extremes, IMO you are risking going past the underbore sweetspot for many paints and locales. In my experience, paint size has actually gone back up in recent years; I don't know if that's economic or random, or just a false impression.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:47:39 PM by drg » Logged
Saint

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 04:59:39 AM »

Personally I have been using a .682 Kaner and have had maybe 2 batches of paint that had any rollouts in the past 5 years. However I am in the most southern climate in the US. What area are you in? What brand of paint is it?

What I do find is a long-axis to short-axis variance of .015-.020 and greater on paintballs is common, so even with very small overall paint it has got to be extremely small to consistently roll out of a .682 or smaller barrel. Have you empirically tracked how many rollouts you are getting, both within a case and case to case? I am of the suspicion that reports like this might be somewhat influenced by selection bias -- people are blown away that they would get a rollout in a smallbore barrel, and remember only the balls that do roll out, neglecting that most balls don't roll out and most batches of paint don't roll out.

On balance I think it is counterproductive to size too far down, for a single-barrel general purpose underboring solution. While you may address the extremes, IMO you are risking going past the underbore sweetspot for many paints and locales. In my experience, paint size has actually gone back up in recent years; I don't know if that's economic or random, or just a false impression.

I live in the Southeast; warm humid climate.  The paint we've been shooting is DXS, whatever their field grade is.  Usually, at least over the past year or so, their paint seems to have been running about .684 across the long axis, but this winter has gotten much smaller.  I don't think it's weather, b/c temps have been pretty mild--high 50s-low 60 on "cold" days.  Our local field is trying to work a deal with a different brand, because this stuff is really really small and the owner knows it.  I agree with your consideration about over-estimated numbers of roll-outs.  Missed shots are so much more frustrating, and therefore more memorable.  While I have not made any empirical observations it seems like about 1 in 10 will roll.  I can recall at least two episodes the last time I played where I had lined up the "perfect" shot, only to shoot air.  I'm sure every pump player can identify with this situation...

Obviously, the answer to this is to get higher quality paint.  Outlaw players and BYOP fields might never struggle with this issue.  But those for whom fields are few and far apart, and are forced to use those fields' paint, this may be a problem...

Back to the topic:  I like the looks of this barrel.  In my experience, you can't go wrong with Lapco.  I guess I'll have to maintain my "barrel whore" status and shell out some cash!
keoni-svx

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »

Man I just joined this site today. Am I so excited about this barrel. Been looking for a different small bore one piece to try out. Looks like this will be my choice.
drg
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »

I live in the Southeast; warm humid climate.  The paint we've been shooting is DXS, whatever their field grade is.  Usually, at least over the past year or so, their paint seems to have been running about .684 across the long axis, but this winter has gotten much smaller.  I don't think it's weather, b/c temps have been pretty mild--high 50s-low 60 on "cold" days.  Our local field is trying to work a deal with a different brand, because this stuff is really really small and the owner knows it.  I agree with your consideration about over-estimated numbers of roll-outs.  Missed shots are so much more frustrating, and therefore more memorable.  While I have not made any empirical observations it seems like about 1 in 10 will roll.  I can recall at least two episodes the last time I played where I had lined up the "perfect" shot, only to shoot air.  I'm sure every pump player can identify with this situation...

Obviously, the answer to this is to get higher quality paint.  Outlaw players and BYOP fields might never struggle with this issue.  But those for whom fields are few and far apart, and are forced to use those fields' paint, this may be a problem...

Back to the topic:  I like the looks of this barrel.  In my experience, you can't go wrong with Lapco.  I guess I'll have to maintain my "barrel whore" status and shell out some cash!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, nothing like getting the blank shot and then the player turns and sees you, blowing all your hard work to get the great position. The bore size is always a tradeoff on a product like this, I just have to hope there are enough people who can use this size to support it. LAPCO has not done many full barrels in smaller sizes than this.

Man I just joined this site today. Am I so excited about this barrel. Been looking for a different small bore one piece to try out. Looks like this will be my choice.

I hope it proves a good choice for you!
In_Spite_Of

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »

Hi. Any chance we might see an APEX2 adapter for this or a similar barrel?
drg
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »

Hi. Any chance we might see an APEX2 adapter for this or a similar barrel?

At this time there are no plans for this. Question: What about this barrel would make it desirable for that, over other existing LAPCO barrels that are APEX compatible?
In_Spite_Of

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »

Optionality.

I am not a barrel hoarder as my friend above stated. I have only a few select pieces. As I play mostly woodsball, it would be nice to slap an APEX2 on it.

Thats just me though.....

(I have purchased one of these though)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to:  

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 08:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1453
  • Total Topics: 199
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 126
  • (January 18, 2011, 10:11:01 PM)
Users Online